Welcome to the Reef Forum.
    Council
    Thanks

Living Sea Aquarium (Park Ridge Illinois)

What happened? I used to go to this place all the time dating back to the late 80's. I can still remember some of the original owners & staff. Jan & Nicky come to mind. Always very clean with exceptional fish & corals as well as a very good knowledge of the salt water aquarium hobby. I enjoyed going there almost as much as the Shed Aquarium. I moved about 4 years ago so didn't frequent there much in the last few years. I was in the area last week so I stopped by and what a shock. The first thing I noticed was the water in the tanks appeared dirty. Then I saw there were dead fish in some tanks, hair algae on corals, salt creep on the tank glass, no sharks in the "shark pond" no stingrays in the stingray pond. The aquarium cabinet doors on some of the displays were dirty and pulling away from the hinges. It used to be very crowded anytime I went there but on this Saturday afternoon, there were maybe 6 or 7 people in there. I am guessing maybe the owners sold the shop or something. What a shame. It used to be a real treat going there.
    Art

Cas
    Just Moved In
    Thanks

Re: Living Sea Aquarium (Park Ridge Illinois)

Same owners, same staff. There are smaller shops that do it better in the area that attract a lot of the people, since they have better corals and prices. LSA was never known for its corals and everyone else has improved their coral selection and are getting quality fish at better prices to boot.

New in Town
    Thanks

Was there a few times. Dont know about there past but as of right now you will not find too much in there. If your looking for corals do yourself a favor and head up to deerfield to midwest coral farms great prices have some fish that are all great looking. and the prices are great imo check it out!

Just Moved In
    Thanks

Living Sea has always been really great to me. I have had multiple instances where I needed assistance, advice, etc. and they were always very knowledgeable. Prices IMO are kind of high (for the area) and some of the livestock is sub par but overall it doesn't get a whole let better in the West Side of Chicago. Try Old Town Aquarium. Great selection but very small shop.

Just Moved In
    Thanks

I'd have to agree with the Orginal poster, I used to go there for Discus and now I'm doing Anemones and Fish with live rock. I went there with my GF since she isn't too far from there and I was disappointed.

I told her about the sharks, stingrays and how great of fish they had. We got there and no Sharks, no stingrays, no selection they seemed to have the same fish in every tank.

Only thing she liked was the Koi.

I live in the burbs so I go to Trop-aquatics in Villa Park, Aquarium Adventure in Schaumburg, Beyone the Reef in Schaumburg, and a few other LFS.

Just Moved In
    Thanks

Not a huge fan of Trop-Aquatics. The other two places I have no been to. Have you been to Old Town Aquarium downtown? If so, what'd you think?

I will admit, when I went to Living Sea a few years back, the selection was bigger and it was clear that a lot of effort went in to that store. Times are tougher now and those are definitely more show tanks than anything. I remember they had sharks, huge puffers, etc. The anemone selection is slim pickings. Every Tuesday they get a new shipment of different nems and it seems like they're gone by 5. It's definitely more of a fish store than anything else. Regardless, they have always been very helpful with my setup over the last five years.

Interested in checking out the other stores mentioned. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Best of luck,
    Matt

Just Moved In
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mal211 View Post
    Not a huge fan of Trop-Aquatics. The other two places I have no been to. Have you been to Old Town Aquarium downtown? If so, what'd you think?

I will admit, when I went to Living Sea a few years back, the selection was bigger and it was clear that a lot of effort went in to that store. Times are tougher now and those are definitely more show tanks than anything. I remember they had sharks, huge puffers, etc. The anemone selection is slim pickings. Every Tuesday they get a new shipment of different nems and it seems like they're gone by 5. It's definitely more of a fish store than anything else. Regardless, they have always been very helpful with my setup over the last five years.

Interested in checking out the other stores mentioned. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Never heard of Old Town Aquarium down town.

Trop-Aquatics isn't my top chose either, they just try to sell you whatever will make them money have to becareful sometimes. They have been helpful since they are 10 minutes away I do go there often.

My Rio pump went out and it was the ceramic shaft and they did cut me a new ceramic shaft using an ehiem shaft they had. So it was $5 instead of $80 for a new pump.

There prices aren't too bad either.

I'd be down to know of other places to check out.

Thread Information